Cookies: 1 1/2 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup of granulated sugar 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract 1 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
Caramel: 1/2 cup of granulated sugar 2 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar until they are just combined and then add the vanilla.
3. Separately, sift together the flour and salt. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Mix until the dough starts to come together.
4. Dump on a floured board and wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Roll the dough into 1 1/4-inch balls. Place the balls on an cookie sheet. Hold the cookie steady with one hand and press a light indentation into the top of each with your finger. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until they’re just a little golden brown on the sides. Let them cool.
6. While they’re cooling, make the caramel...
7. Combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a medium saucepan. Do not stir. Cook over medium-high heat to a dark caramel, swirling as it begins to brown to distribute the sugar.
8. While the sugar and water are cooking, heat up the cream in a saucepan or microwave just until warm.
9. Take off the heat and add your room temperature butter. Whisk the butter in, being sure it’s totally combined. Add your warmed cream and whisk vigorously.
10. Spoon a teaspoon of warm caramel into the indentations of your cookies and top with sea salt.