Sunday, January 12, 2014

Chicken & Gnocchi Soup


I think it's pretty safe to say that were officially a soup family.
Okay, maybe it's just me forcing my family to eat soup,
but seriously, we have it at least twice a week.
And I'll make enough so that were eating the leftovers for lunch
for the following two or three days.

It all started when I begin to try and find ways
to get more nutrient dense food into our daily diets.
And knowing that homemade chicken stock was SUPER good for you,
I made it a point to make a batch of the stuff every other week or so.
Then came the task of finding recipes to use the stock in.
Soup has been my go to meal for using it each time.
(I also use the stock when I make rice and quinoa.
And I mix it with water and give it to Tessa in a sippy bottle.)

 From what I hear this soup is kinda a knock-off
of the Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from the Olive Garden.
I wouldn't really know because I have never had that soup from there.
Nevertheless, this soup is amazing and I will be making it again and again and again.
I'm pretty sure you should go make it right now too. ;)


Chicken & Gnocchi Soup

4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
3 cups half and half
1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup carrots, finely shredded
1 cup chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 package gnocchi, cooked according to package directions
1 cup of fresh kale, coarsely chopped
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley
salt and coarse pepper to taste (at least a 1/2 tsp of each)

1. Saute the onion, celery, and garlic in the butter over medium heat until the onion becomes translucent. 

2. Add the flour and make a roux. Let the butter and flour mixture cook for about a minute before adding 3 quarts of half and half.

3. Into the roux, add in the carrots and chicken. Keep warm on the burner and let the soup thicken while you cook the gnocchi.

4. Cook gnocchi according to the package directions. 

5. Once the mixture becomes thick, add the chicken broth. 

6. Once the mixture thickens again, add the cooked gnocchi, spinach, and seasoning; simmer until soup is heated through.

7. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings according to your liking. Sometimes if I feel a soup needs more flavor, I will add a 1/2 tsp at a time of Organic Better than Bouillon Chicken flavor.


 

This is Tessa's "Hey Mom, can I have some more avocado please" face...
and then her being distracted by something far more important in the living room.

No comments: